Thursday, June 4, 2015

Three New Mini Quilts and an Idea If You're Interested

Lately I've kind of lost my enjoyment when it came to quilting and this was not making me happy, not one bit! So I decided to take the time to get back to my favorite form of quilting...I just love miniature quilts. I love designing them, making them, and the actual quilting is fun too(no dragging huge pieces of fabric and batting through my sewing machine). I also love that they are so inexpensive to make. I decided to start with something easy, just to get back with the program. Rail Fence seemed just right.
Four 2 3/4 inch blocks to be exact. Okay really fun, but could I still make something a little harder? How about four 2 3/4 inch Geese in the Corner blocks? Worth a try!
Okay, that worked, but could I still design a mini block? Again worth a try. Here's my design.
I called the block Opposing Strips but I think the quilt is going to be called Star Shine. I always name my quilts, do you?
Here's all three together the way they will hang. 
And now for my idea. How would you like to make some minis? I thought I could write some patterns for these and other minis, one per month through December. I would include instructions for the original sizes as well as a larger size. For instance, the original size of the rail fence the blocks would be 2 3/4" and the larger size would be double that. The larger size would still only finish out at about 17". There would be a variety of sizes and themes. Most of the patterns would be foundation pieced. Foundation piecing is just the easiest way to get the accuracy you need for small quilts. 
Let me know in the comments or by email if you are interested. 
Patterns are time consuming to write so I really would like to know if they would be used.

21 comments:

cindy_fraher4 said...

I would use the patterns. Sounds like fun.

Jean Belle said...

I'm not a big fan of paper piecing. Always causes me problems. Maybe I just need more practice! Your little quilts are beautiful, and yes, I always name my quilts too. If you made up patterns I'd give it a try!

Vicki H said...

I would love to participate. I am planning to make mini quilts for my wall in the sewing room.

Quiltsmiles said...

Oh yes please. I am definitely interested not sure if I could get each one done per month but would love to get a couple of them done.
Thanks.

Shebandowan said...

I would love to have tutorials for these blocks. They are quite beautiful.

Janet

Theresa Taylor said...

I fell in love with little quilts this year. I would be interested in your proposed plan. Theresa

Theresa Taylor said...

I would be very interested in doing little quilts. I fell in love with them recently and finished a top last week. Thanks Theresa

Linda said...

I love mini quilts! Maybe your patterns will get me going on some projects! Linda in Green Valley, AZ

Terri Ball said...

I would be interested in your new mini's. Sometimes I have noticed (as I am getting older) I just need a little somethin, somethin.....as my kids say. It is good to know I am not alone. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and projects!

The Patchsmith said...

Count me in. I think this is a great idea and I shall incorporate the blocks into my Block-a-Day (BAD) of next. I too love mini quilts - especially mug rugs. They are quick, scrapilicious and fun.

Shirley Woods said...

I would love to see mini patterns. I, too, love to make them although recently I've been bogged down with a challenge quilt that has sapped my energy and enthusiasm.

Bring them on!

Barb N said...

I love your minis! Especially the Star Shine. I'd be up for learning how to do them, although my plate is pretty full and no guarantees on when I'd get them done. I'd love to see them, though :)

Kat Scribner said...

Welcome back to your quilting mojo. I love mini's too. They can hang on my table top wire frame, they make great center pieces, they make doll quilts, they are so fun. I love paper piecing. The star shine piece is just wonderful. Would you write that one first? (g)

Peggy said...

I would be interested. I have made some of your patterns before and I love paper piecing. I could use them in lots of different ways.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I like mini quilts too, and have several 12-inch finished patterns done for a table top frame this year. I'll be doing more patterns myself, and look forward to yours. Your Star Shine is wonderful!

dmf said...

Would love more of your mini patterns. Thanks for sharing!

OhioLori said...

Oh yes please! Would love to do Mini's!! Love the three here that your sharing..they are Beautiful!

muis huismuis said...

Your patterns and fabric choices compliments each other so well....I would love to make them! Thank you for sharing your time and talent!

Tania said...

Hi, just discovered your blog, I am a mini quilt lover too and would love to join in!

MarleneC said...

I love your minis and check in every months to see if there is a new one.
Thank you.

Joanne Alburger said...

luv your patterns and would be great to become part of this sewing piecing fun!
you are most kind to share your patterns.