Saturday, October 11, 2014

Some Projects...

I've been working on. First, I made my two little grandsons a pillowcase for Halloween. These were made from kits from a local shop and are called "The 20 Minute Pillowcase". Although they take me a little longer, they are fast and easy to make.
The next two quilts are from a month Block of the Month Class that I take from the same shop. Last year our theme was "Barn Quilts" which included both a fairly basic block and the barn blocks with a three inch version of the block on the barn. First I'll show my barn quilt. Although we were given instructions for twelve, I found that I was tired of making barns after five. I did manage to get all twelve of my basic blocks in the quilt, either as three inch blocks on the barns, six inch blocks in the setting squares, or four inch blocks in the border cornerstones. My husband loves this quilt and it will hang in his man cave after quilting.
The next quilt is mostly made from a bundle of fabric designed by Kim Diehl for Henry Glass Fabrics that I won on their blog. The tan background is a Moda fabric. We get patterns once a month and don't know ahead of time what blocks will be included. I decided that because the block would probably be fairly simple to be able to make them thee inches square as well as the usual twelve inches square blocks, I would design an applique for each block. If you look closely at the basic blocks of each quilt you will find that both quilts contain the same twelve basic blocks in varying sizes and without the applique. The appliques are all my designs and are hand appliqued. This quilt still needs borders that will also include some applique.
I hope to be back soon with a couple of baby quilts for my new granddaughter and my completed "Quilty Stitches" cross stitch project from the "Little Miss Shabby" blog. 



8 comments:

Carol said...

Sweet pillowcases and that barn quilt is just gorgeous!

Libby said...

I love your quilts and I especially like the idea that you dare to branch out and incorporate some of your on thoughts and ideas !!!! Libby

LynCC said...

These are such fun BOMs. The 3" blocks mimicked on the barns is very fun, but your applique additions on the other one are brilliant. Such a nice share. :)

France Nadeau ❅ inspiration imagination creation said...

Your barn quilt is gorgeous! I love how you mixed all those reds, blues and white.

knettycraft said...

Your quilts are wonderful!!!
Congratulations to your new granddaughter!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Cute Halloween pillowcases and love both of the quilts!

Farm Quilter said...

Cute projects, but wasn't today your day on Twas the Night Before Christmas?

Quiltsmiles said...

Jill,
Your quilts are amazing. Love that Barn quilt and I truly am interested in purchasing the leftover pattern if you are willing to let it go. Please consider ti when your computer gets back up and let me know. Thanks Jane