Friday, June 27, 2014

My Favorite Quilt

Sew Mama Sew has a fun linky party going right now with quilter's favorite quilts. I've decided to jump in and add one. My favorite quilt is a mini that I designed and made in 2003.
 I just plain love the bright colors against the pieced neutral background. I, also, love that it incorporates my two favorite aspects of quilting, piecing and machine applique. It is seventeen and one half inches square in total. The center is a neutral background made of four quarter log cabin blocks, exactly four inches square each, over-laid with the applique. The real challenge for me was to design a machine applique that was small enough but still worked with that method of applique. The log cabin stars in the corners are only three and a half inches square. I still own the quilt and will soon be hanging it in my long entry hall with my mini quilt collection. 
Back when there was a "Miniature Quilts" magazine, I loved to enter their yearly contest. It was great fun and the prizes were wonderful. I made this quilt especially for the contest and received third place in combination pieced and appliqued traditional quilts. 
Although I have since made mini quilts that have placed higher, this remains my favorite. I think the people that published the magazine like it too. They placed it front and center on the cover!

6 comments:

Kat Scribner said...

This piece is an eye-catcher. Very cheerful and bright. I am amazed it is only 17 inches.

Podunk Pretties said...

I can see why you love it so much. Love the bright colors.

Cathy said...

It's absolutely gorgeous! I can see why it's your favorite.

Solstitches said...

Your mini Quilt is stunning in those glorious colours.
Margaret

Maartje Quilt said...

Gorgeous mini quilt with those colors. So beautiful!!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Yep such a wonderful contrast of colors! Thanks for sharing at Tuesday Archives!