Thursday, June 19, 2014

Back From Extended Break

I didn't intend to take such a long break. I was just feeling a little over-whelmed by everything and to be truthful wondering if I wanted to continue to blog. After much thought I've decided that I do want to continue. So what have I been doing during the the break? We have been doing more painting and have finally painted my sewing room. I will have pictures when I get it all together. As for the painting, we are down to two small guest rooms and the task will finally be finished. Oh wait...I want to paint the kitchen cupboards. Do you think I'm my own worst enemy?
I did mange some sewing while I was gone. I belong to a local block of the month group. This year our focus has been barns and the blocks painted on them. At first I found the barn blocks fun and challenging but then I realized that the fun had become work and I wasn't enjoying making them very much. I decided to use the ones I had finished and add some filler blocks to make my quilt. I've finished the center and I'm thinking about what I'd like to do for borders. Any suggestions are welcome.
I'm continuing with the blocks that go on the barns. This year because the blocks are fairly simple, I decided to design an applique for each block. I'm behind but continuing on with this project. It's my first real extensive hand applique project and for the most part I'm enjoying it. Here's my two latest blocks. 

I also finished a UFO. I made the center block of this quilt about three years ago for another project. It didn't work with the project but I loved the block and the fabric. So I added borders, did some simple quilting, and called it done. I'm very pleased with it and I'm going to hang it in my sewing room. 
The center block is simple foundation piecing. If anyone is interested in making this small wall hanging(it is also a great size for a table topper or pillow), please let me know and I will write up a pattern.
Last, but not least, I'm continuing with Little Miss Shabby's stitch along(see sidebar). As usual, I've made changes and substituted a completely different block for the barn block because I didn't think the block would go with my finished product. I'm enjoying this sampler so much and thank LMS for the patterns.
  

4 comments:

Cathy said...

Welcome back! I love what you did with your barn blocks and this BOM at the end is fantastic! Great job!

Kat Scribner said...

I also love your barn quilt. Nice design change. The appliques are nice too. Hand work is so relaxing.

Emily C said...

Borders: hourglass, thread spool or solid red.

Needled Mom said...

I love your spool block and the pinwheels are wonderful.