Monday, October 7, 2013

Quilt's Etc. BOM

I attend a class at a local quilt store called Quilt's Etc. We meet once a month usually on the first Saturday. Each year has a theme. Last year's theme was the old west. I actually finished the top of the quilt and will soon have it quilted. You can see it here.
This year's theme is barn quilts. We are given the choice of making a twelve inch block with the actual block or making a three inch block and setting it in a barn block that they have provided. I've decided to do both blocks. They provide the fabric and patterns for one of the blocks. We are given a choice of three different fabric themes. This year I chose Civil War fabrics. Here are my September blocks. First is the barn block made with the Civil War fabrics. I made a few changes to the block and ended up with a block a little bigger than the original.
 I also made the larger Ohio Star block. Since I used my civil war fabrics on the barn block, I decided to use some fabric that I won from the Henry Glass Blog. It is Hearthside Seasons by Kim Diehl. The background is not from the fabric line but I liked the way it looked with the other fabrics. I also decided to add an applique overlay and I'm thrilled with the results.
 I think this promises to be a fun and interesting year!

6 comments:

Michele Marie said...

Love them both. You have done an excellent job.

Kathy said...

Love both blocks! Is the barn block pattern available anywhere?

Lindsey Weight said...

They are both really pretty! Thanks for sharing!

Frances said...

I love applique overlays on blocks, they really add something special. Sounds like your year will be interesting.

Connie said...

Beautiful blocks and your barn is too cute! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Ivory Spring said...

Those blocks are awesome!!!!