Sunday, June 30, 2013

Two Little Blocks

I just thought I would show you a couple of little block I made recently. They are both for the quilt guild that I belong to. First is a Little Witch block. This block along with eight others will go into a wall quilt that will be auctioned off at the annual meeting of the Utah Quilt Guild. The design is by Lisa Christensen and is from the October 1998 issue of McCall's Quilting. I thought it was a fun, fairly easy block to put together.
 Next is a redwork block designed by Darlene Zimmerman for Robert Kaufman. It is from the Lazy Daizy Baskets collection. It was a delight to stitch. The only thing I didn't like was that the fabric it was printed on was so thin. I feel that a denser weave would have been much nicer.


4 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Really nice blocks!

Kathy said...

Hi, I just found you via Freemotion by the River. Your redwork block is beautiful. And I love how you have provided so many nice pdf documents for your readers to download. I especially like the 2012 BOM blocks. I downloaded all of them and hope to make some one of these days :)

Kathy said...

I think I forgot to mention I am following via Bloglovin!

Lline said...

When I do any embroidery I use a layer of this stuff I found in the interfacing aisle. It is a white fabric with a light weight fusible on it. Sorry it changed it's my again and I don't know the new one. I use it all the time. The hand of the fabric you want to stitch on doesn't change and carry overs, knots and the like don't show through. It stablizes the sometimes not so great weave of some pre-print panels. Don't add it to anything that will wash away after stitching because the iron will of course heat set everything. I put it on my stitching fabric and then use a light box and a wash away pen to transfer my patterns. It's a little harder to hand quilt but I usually don't quilt the stitchery in my quilts anyway. I hope this info helps for next time you need to stitch on a loose weave.