Friday, January 11, 2013

Just Thought I'd Let You Know...

I'm still here. I've been taking an unplanned blog break. I find after Christmas I need some down time. I've been reading a good book Edward Rutherfurd's "London". It's very involved and long, but good. I'm learning a lot. I'm on page 659 of 1124.
I have also been working on some projects. First I realized that I have not shown you any of my blocks from the block club that I attend on the first Saturday of every month at a local quilt shop. This year the program is called "Dusty Trails" and I must admitt the fabric is not my favorite, but the blocks are fun and interesting to make. This year we had a choice of Southwest fabrics, Cowboy fabric, or Batiks. I choose the batiks hoping to avoid the cowboy theme...didn't work! Here's the first four blocks.
 I've also been working on a UFO. I started this quilt about five years ago and then had to set it aside. I had already finished the blocks including the machine applique, so it I just had to put them together and quilt the project. Here's where I am now. 
 All the quilting to this point has been in the ditch or closely around the appliques, but I think I'll add some fancy stuff soon. 
I'm also nearly finished with the planning stage of a Block of the Month series for this blog. I hope to get the blocks up about the twentieth day of each month, so stay tuned. 
I won one of the traveling stash boxes that are circulating in blog land and will be adding to that and having a drawing for it in the next couple of days.   

8 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

What a beautiful UFO to work on Jill!

Jean Belle said...

I read "London" a few years ago. It was a good book, but IS a long read! Isn't it nice to get a few UFO's finally completed? Great way to start the year! Love the floral fabric in the one you're working on! It's a lovely quilt.

Cath said...

Love that UFO. It is so pretty. I have read that novel by Edward Rutherford some 15 years ago and loved it. It was such an epic story, I still remember it clearly. I have bought his book SARUM to read sometime soon.
Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

Cathy said...

Gorgeous quilt. Love the fabrics.

Wendy said...

Your ufo is so pretty and I am sure the quilting will add so much more to it as well.

Connie said...

What a beautiful UFO and I really like your batik "cowboy" blocks :)

Stella Nemeth said...

Such pretty colors. This quilt reminds me why I like applique quilts.

Myra said...

Nice block patterns there. Interesting see that blue thrown in there. Curious to see it all come together...
Good on you with that UFO progression. Looking good!