Sunday, January 20, 2013

2013 Free Block of the Month

Just a quick reminder before we get started on this year's block of the month. I have a traveling stash box that is ready to send on to someone else. If you are interested in it coming to you, go here to see the contents and leave a comment on that post.
Now on the the block of the month. I have decided to do a pieced series of blocks that are either an old favorite or my take on an old favorite. The central block will finish out a eight inches, then will be surrounded by two more borders resulting in a block that will measures fourteen inches finished and fourteen and one half inches unfinished. Here's an illustration of the borders with the central block left blank.
 The layout is fairly simple and will result in a nice lap sized quilt. Here's an illustration of the layout including the block borders.
 I am going to be make two blocks each month. The first will be made with a planned color palette and purchased fabric.
 The second will be a scrappy version or at least as scrappy as I get! I'm pulling all of these fabrics from my scrap bins. You will notice that I have changed the positions of the colored fabric in the outer border in relation to the background. I did this because I think I'm going to be using neutral fabrics for the sashing and I want the corner squares to be a contrast.
 To download instructions for the yardage requirements and general instructions go here. For January's block go here.     

7 comments:

Connie said...

What a fun pattern, thanks! I downloaded it and hope I can find time to take part! Thanks!

Lois (AKA Onnie) said...

I just love samplers! This looks very pretty! I'm thinking about it!!! (And I should be!)

Peggy said...

Thanks for another BOM. I just may try this one also.

Leigh the sewing diva said...

This will be my first time doing a block a month series and I'm really excited. Love the first ones!
Come check out my blog if you get a chance
Leigh
http://www.thesewingdivaandherreluctantmodels.blogspot.co.uk

desertskyquilts said...

Great! Love the alternatives, 'cause I'm a scrappy quilter. I'm posting it on QuiltBOM but I'll try to remember to check back to see if you put it on a tab like 2012.

Leslie said...

Neat idea! I think keeping the red/white/green colors and using a Christmas photo in the "blank" block would make a super Christmas quilt! Thanks for presenting this!

Margot said...

His works are beautiful! Thanks for BOMs and teaches us everything.