Friday, July 27, 2012

Mug Rugs and Coasters

I've been using some pretty ceramic coaster for a few years. They have become way to attractive to my grandchildren and since they have sharp corners and are breakable, its time for a more child friendly solution. I considered silicone coasters but I think our dog would chew them to pieces, so quilted coasters and mug rugs are the solution. I wanted something fast and super easy so here's my first solution.
 Then I realized we use them mostly for coffee and the stains would show big time, so it was back to the fabric stash and sewing machine. Here's my final solution. They were so fast, fun, and easy that I thought you might want to make some. You can print a tutorial here.
 I've also made some progress on my new project. Here's what the original pattern looks like. Its from the book "Winter Rose" by Barbara Brandeburg.
 
This is my version. I put pinwheels in the corners and changed the applique. They are still more corners and an outside border to add, but I thought I'd do the machine applique first.
 Thanks for stopping by! 

3 comments:

Connie said...

Your wall hanging is looking beautiful and I like the changes you made to it!

Solstitches said...

I like your block better than the original Jill. Love the mini pinwheels in the corners.
Thanks for the mug rug tutorial.
That is one thing I keep meaning to try. Christmas is coming and they would make great gifts.
Margaret

Solstitches said...

I like your block better than the original Jill. Love the mini pinwheels in the corners.
Thanks for the mug rug tutorial.
That is one thing I keep meaning to try. Christmas is coming and they would make great gifts.
Margaret