Saturday, July 21, 2012

A New Project and Thread Storage

Finally I'm starting a new project. I have a large blank wall in my guest room that is crying out for a quilt. I've always loved this quilt and have wanted to make it for a while and now I'm going to. It from the book "Winter Rose" by Barbara Brandeburg.
Since it's me making the quilt and I seem to have trouble ever making a quilt exactly as instructed, I will be making changes to both the applique and the piecing. Here's my fabric choices.
Karen from Sew Many Ways is hosting a linky party about thread storage. I love to do machine applique. My applique method is using a hand guided satin stitch. This requires many thread colors because I like to match my fabric as closely as possible. Here's a few examples of my method.
I have a tutorial for my method in the "Printable Tutorials" just below my header. Anyway on to thread storage...this is my current method.
It looks semi-organised right now, but this is not the normal condition and so I've purchased these. 
I just need to get them hung on the wall and I'm hoping this keeps things neater. I'm also wanting to get to Ikea and purchase a magnetic knife holder for my bobbins. I show you the changes when I get them installed.

9 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Can't wait to see how you change up the pattern for your guest room Jill. I have my husband in my sewing room right now trying to figure out how to hang my thread storage and bulletin board. You have a LOT more thread than I do.

WoolenSails said...

That is a beautiful quilt, can't wait to see your version. I have never used a satin stitch, need to learn how to do it.

Debbie

Cindy said...

Beautiful quilt. I think it will be very nice in the fabrics you chose. I can't believe how much thread you have! But then I like to hand applique, so I have a million colors of floss. :)

Kay Pugh said...

I think you will enjoy having your thread on the racks. I recently moved my thread from drawers to shelves and I can't believe the difference. I love having it out, but organized and always at my fingertips.

Connie said...

You are going to have a beautiful quilt when it is done! Love seeing all your thread too!

Kathie said...

oh thats interesting I thought having the thread in the drawers would be good but I can see how having these BIG thread holders would be so much better
I have never seen big ones like this before.
good luck!
Kathie

Solstitches said...

The quilt is gorgeous and what beautiful fabrics you chose.
You will be able to get a LOT of threads on those wall racks!

Margaret

Quilter Kathy said...

Neato racks to hang on the wall!

Ivory Spring said...

Jill,

That quilt looks awesome!