Saturday, June 16, 2012

I'm Back

Sorry it's been so long! I've had a few health issues and haven't felt like sewing. I have however been able to devote some time to hand stitching and have finally finished my grandson's Christmas stocking.
I'm really happy with how it turned out. Now I just need to wash it and turn it into a stocking. I'm starting my other grandson's stocking today.
During this time I did not totally neglect my sewing. I dreamed up projects and found some wonderful online sales. I ended up with a nice pile of fabric. I always like to wash my fabrics before I sew with them. I hate to think what chemicals I'm breathing when I'm pressing if I don't. I decided this time I would actually finish the edges first to eliminate fraying. I going to do this all the time from now on...yes it takes more time, but look at these nice neat piles of fabric with no hanging frayed strings.
The pile on the left is from a gift certificate my daughter sent for Mother's Day. Thanks Jessica!!! The other pile is sale fabric. Yeah!
I used partially wound bobbins to zig zag the edges and ended up with an added bonus of a bunch of clean, ready to use bobbins.
 Aren't they pretty and shinny and all ready to go. Do you wash or not and how do you deal with fraying?

8 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I am glad to hear you are feeling better and nice to be able to do hand work when we are sick.

Debbie

whistlebet57 said...

Oh how beautiful. Is'nt it wonderful how much love we can put into something for our grandchildren. Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing

Grit said...

Das ist ja eine wunderschöne Stickerei geworden.
Liebe Grüße Grit

Sara said...

The stocking is absolutely beautiful!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

The Christmas stocking is gorgeous Jill! What beautiful work!

Nima Titus said...

wow...gorgeous stockings

Solstitches said...

Sorry to hear you have been feeling unwell Jill.
The nice stash shopping must have given you a boost :)
I don't wash fabrics but that is because the things I make are usually bags. I did wash when I made my grandson's quilt.
Great idea for freeing up some bobbins.
Love the stocking and I bet your grandson will be thrilled with it.
Margaret

Connie said...

Glad you are feeling better! I wash my fabrics first and usually just clip a corner but I do have fraying. Don't you love using up all the leftover bobbins!!