Friday, May 18, 2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival Spring 2012


Amy's Creative Side
For my entry in Amy's Blogger's Quilt Festival, I thought I'd share my Oregon Trail Quilt. For those not familiar with the Oregon Trail, this was the route used by settlers, farmers, miners, and business men migrating to the Pacific Northwest from the Eastern United States of America from 1841 to 1869. The journey averaged from four to six months long and was filled with hazards and danger. 
I started this quilt in 2009 and finished in 2010 so my regular readers may have seen this. It started out as a Block of the Month offered by a local quilt shop. We were supplied with a kit for four 6 inch blocks each month. I used made the four blocks and then decided to incorporate them in to a larger block. I decided that each month there would be a pieced Dresden Plate surrounded by an Eight Point Star as the center and the original blocks would always be in the outer corners. From there the design process became really fun. Some of the blocks were added as part of the story told by the original kit blocks and some were just to complement the block. 
Here's some close-ups of my completed blocks. First are the September through December blocks. The block in the upper left is called Kansas Dugout, a type of dwelling used on the plains. I wanted my block to reflect the feelings shared at the beginning of the trail so I added blocks to try and evoke the feeling of a star burst of new hope. The upper right block reflects the blooming spring prairie. The lower left block is called Wagon tracks and the lower right block whirlwind to recall the weather hazards faced by the travelers.
Next are the January through April blocks. They are called Prairie Flower (upper left), Bear Track (upper right), Traveler's Star (lower left), and Indian Mats (lower right).
 Finally, are the May through August blocks. They are called Rocky Mountain Puzzle (upper left), Broken Wheel (upper right), Prairie Queen (lower left), commemorating the many women making the trek, and Log Cabin (lower right). I placed my log cabins in the Oregon Pines. 
 I hope you enjoy my quilt and it's story. Thank you for visiting! you may see other quilts and stories here.

27 comments:

Natasha said...

I really enjoy the complexity in the blocks!

Sue said...

Simply Gorgeous quilt !

Sew Lovins said...

Wow!! thats all..Wow!!!

Ivory Spring said...

Oh my, this quilt is amazing!!!

Ruth said...

I love this quilt. I especially like how you took a block of the month and made your own unique quilt.

carol fun said...

WOW! these blocks are phenomenal! Great design.

CitricSugar said...

Beautiful. Such intricate piecing!

Krista @ Sewwhatscooking.com said...

Really love your quilt. Gorgeous work! Thank you for sharing!

Sue Daurio said...

Oh goodness that is spectacular! Those blocks are just amazing. I love the pieced dresden plate in the center with the 8 pointed star. And each of them so intricate and beautiful. What a treasure you have made.

Mrs A said...

Beautiful quilt! Great story too!

Margaret said...

beautiful block designs!

Check out my blog if you can...

Margaret Gunn
www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

Gayle Bong said...

Wow! It's like every block is a masterpiece. I love it.

Janine said...

This is a wonderful quilt! Love it.

Teresa F. said...

Gorgeous! The quilt is amazing, love the blocks, i've never seen those patterns before.

dorothy v said...

Beautiful quilt! Love all that piecing!

Julia said...

I like your Oregon Trail Sampler quilt with the great variety of sampler blocks. I also enjoyed browsing around your blog. Great work!

Connie said...

What a beautiful quilt and what neat blocks! Hmmm.....wonder how many pieces are in each of your blocks!!

Queenie Believe said...

Beautiful quilt, I love the blocks each complex and individual.
Have a great day.
Always, Queenie

Marci Girl said...

My goodness, what a beautiful and complex quilt!

Eileen said...

wow! that's just beautiful. such great blocks and nice fabrics/colors. thanks for sharing and have a great day

Solstitches said...

What a masterpiece.
I love your quilt. My favourite blocks are the one with the little houses and the one with the trees.
Margaret

Karin said...

Wow, absolutely beautiful! Love the fabrics and colors you used!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love the colors and prints you used for this quilt

Kat Scribner said...

Oh what a wonderful quilt! Just stunning.

Valerie Reynolds said...

You are a talented sewer! This BOM is simple gorgeous! I too love your color and print choices....your have a good fabric eye!

Valerie Reynolds said...

I can see why it's a favorite!!

Willit Neverend said...

Pretty and meaningful. I like that combination :)