Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Tree Skirt Finished!

I finished my sister's tree skirt! Finally...she's only waited eight months since her birthday!
She chose the fabrics to go with a tree in her entry. I made this one smaller than mine because she has limited space for the tree. I'm very happy with the results and hope she will be too!
I first designed and made this pattern for my oldest son and his wife. They wanted a funkier tree skirt that I usually make, so it was a bit of a stretch for me. Here is the design I came up with for them.
I really enjoyed making this tree skirt and they seemed very happy with it. I love the fabrics.
When I decided to make one for myself last year, I knew I wanted it more traditional and had also become obsessed with Dresden Plates. I substituted a Dresden Plate ornament for the round icicle ornament, changed the shape of the background a bit, and picked some very traditional fabrics. Here's the result.

 My tree skirt is not as big as my son's and larger than my sisters. It's nice to be able to adjust the size so easily to fit the space.
I think now it's time for another Oliver, the puppy, update. He is now eight month old and I think pretty much full grown. He is still chewing everything he can including catalogs, library books, and ipod earphones. We have puppy proofed the house and are hoping we have everything out of reach. He has quit chewing electrical cords after some strong admonitions from Mom and Dad, although we still watch him closely.

He has also become very timid. New things are very scary! It will be interesting when the Christmas decoration come out. Our last dog was always frightened by them, but then adjusted. I think we will get a similar reaction from Oliver.

12 comments:

nima said...

OMG...that looks gorgeous...lovely fabric and beautiful finishing

I'm Myra said...

The tree skirts are absolutely wonderful!! Funky or not!!! Awesome!

Ah Oliver... Life is a learning experience... He's so darn cute! 8-)

WoolenSails said...

I love your tree skirts, all the versions.
I like prim and my kids like modern, so it is fun to make them things with fun fabrics.

Debbie

Rosa said...

It`s absolutely gorgeous!!

supermom said...

All three tree skirts are so beautiful!

The Sunflower Patch said...

Love that Dresden plate ornament on the last tree skirt!
Oliver is a doll!

Deanna said...

Beautiful work! I cannot decide which I like best, but I would not want to cover any of them up with presents. Your attention to detail is lovely!

Toodie said...

These are absolutely stunning! Beautiful job! And Oliver is so darn sweet!

radio control cars said...

Absolutely stunning work you did. These three skirt is gorgeous as well as your dog is enjoy to sleep on it, I have same dog but the little difference is in-stand of brown color of your dog, my dog color is black.

Michele said...

Lovely tree skirts!

Solstitches said...

It's always a pleasure to see your finished projects Jill.
The tree skirts are gorgeous. What a neat idea to have the mini Dresden as one of the ornaments - love it!
Margaret

codice sconto said...

This funkier tree skirt look really awesome.I like this fabric colors and designs.