Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I've Been Busy!

Sorry it's been so long but I've been super busy. First of all I am over our guild's Block of the Month program and I decided to design all the blocks myself this year. It's been great fun, but a tremendous amount of work because I not only design the blocks I also write the patterns. The blocks are turning out great and the ladies seem to like them so there is my reward. More about this later.
I have family coming to visit tomorrow so I decided it was time to do something about the guest room. I read a book recently that said there are three stages to putting together a room. I think I have just completed stage two. The first stage I finished last year. I painted the entire room as well as the furniture. It look better, but along way from done. The last week I have been working on stage two, namely soft furnishings. I made these curtains. They were so heavy to work on but I'm loving the results. 
Yes, I love yellow and flowers! Next I made a bed skirt and shams. I purchased the coverlet (I was getting tired). 
My favorite project was the lampshades. I had these little lamps in another room and they were looking a bit tired. The lampshades were those pleated one and were soiled. I decided to take them apart and see how they were made. When I did this I found that the construction was very simple. A basic shade with everything glued on. So I sprayed adhesive on the entire outside of the shade and applied the fabric cutting it to fit as I went. I left extra fabric so I could fold under a seam in the back and to turn under on the bottom and top. I hot-glued the seam and the top and bottom. It was so fun to do a simple project and have it turn out so cute!
Now I just have to complete stage three, but that will take some time. Did you notice the bare walls. I want some quilts and other accessories for the walls. Someday it will be done!

3 comments:

Elaine said...

The room looks nice. What a great idea with the lampshade.

Myra said...

Oh what a pretty looking guest room! Nice decor!! 8-)

Polka Dot Daze said...

Wow! It looks so beautiful! You're visitors aren't going to want to leave with a room like that!