Saturday, April 24, 2010

My Christmas Stocking Quilt Top is Finally Finished!

It wasn't supposed to take so long, but it did. The borders were kind of a long process. They took a lot of cutting and sewing, but I'm pleased with how they look. Then there was the center. The blocks were many different sizes. I finally got out my graph paper and worked out what to do. Then I had to get over my fear of sewing it together. I found the sewing was really fun when I finally started and it went together as planned. The first border went on very smoothly. Then came the second border. I hit a pin about ten inches from the end and my machine was really unhappy with that. So unhappy, in fact, that it demanded a trip to the repairman the next morning. Finally three days later the machine was fixed and ready to return home. Last night I was able to finish border two and add three and four. Yea!!! It's finally together!


It's quite long. My husband had to stand on a chair to hold it up so I could take a picture. Here are some of my favorite blocks.


This block features some machine embroidery made for me by Teresa at Moonvalley Quilter. I have had it for years. It's so nice to have finally found the right project for it.


I think I need a rest from this quilt. So it's on to other projects. I will quilt it later when I'm not so tired of it. Let me know what you think!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Christmas Stocking Quilt Progress and Finished Sampler

I finally finished the machine applique on my Christmas stocking blocks and trimmed them. Then I had to figure out how to put them together. They are different sizes so it was a real challenge for me. Thank goodness for graph paper. That took all afternoon yesterday. Here is what I ended up with. I need to make three filler blocks so forgive the empty spaces. I think I will sash it with a really dark brown.


Here is just the center blocks. Most of these blocks were design by two ladies in my quilt guild.


Today I spent the day cutting strips for the scrappy border and filler blocks. Tomorrow I'll cut the sashings.


Finally, I finished my sampler. I combined elements from several sources to achieve the look I wanted.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

I'm Caught Up Finally!

Block seven is finished and I'm finally caught up...at least until Sat. Then I'll get a new kit for more corner blocks. So here's a picture of the corner blocks.


Then my concept block.



Finally, the finished block.



Tomorrow I'm hoping to work on another project. I think maybe the Christmas stocking blocks. I'd like to get the top finished in time to take it to my Thursday night quilting group.