Friday, February 19, 2010

Sewing Room Before and After, New Project, and Sampler Update

I've not completely finished my sewing room but it's ready to see for now. First a "before" picture.


Now a bunch of "after" pictures. First this is one end of the room. The bookcases have been painted. The cutting table has been skirted to hide storage as well as a really ugly table. I also added a tablecloth. I also slip covered the sewing chair.


This shows another wall, the doors on the right hide my fabric stash. Scroll down to see why doors are needed!



I also painted this entertainment center that my husband modified so that I could see the TV when I'm sewing.



I bought new effective blinds and made curtains.


The rulers are hung.



Now on to something new. You may have noticed that some of my walls are pretty bare, so I have started a new quilt. It is my design and will hang above the cutting table. The pieces are fused and waiting to be machine appliqued.


Finally a sampler update. I've added side borders to my center flowers and started the first of two additional portions. If you look closely at my daughters Christmas stocking (in an earlier post) you will find both borders.


Let me know what you think!





Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Thank You, A Project, and A Preview

First a big thank you to Mary on Lake Pulaski. I won her recent give away. I was so excited, it's the first time I've ever won. Here's the beautiful fabrics and book she sent to me. I have a thing for teapots so the fabric is perfect. My mind is just churning to come up with just the perfect project. Thanks so much Mary!


In the past two posts I have mentioned an ongoing project that I've been working on though my quilting group. It's a Christmas stocking quilt designed by Kari of Fresh Cut Quilts and Donna. I've also thrown in a block that I put together to utilize some machine embroidery my friend Teresa made for me. It' still not finished but I thought I'd show you what I've done up to now. So first the the blocks that I've completed the machine applique.


Then the ones that I'm still working on.

I think I will border each block in a narrow border of black and then put them together with another near solid fabric. Stay tuned.

It's been a very busy two weeks around here. First it was the painting. That went well and took about the amount of time I thought it would. Then I decided to pull out all the home decorating fabric and see what went with the paint. The planned fabric looked really bad with the paint so that was out, but surprise I had another fabric that was just right. It was a fabric that I bought about three years ago for about $1.00 a yard on a close out. I have yards and yards of it, so I can do a lot with it. I have made curtains and a valence for the window. I am working on another couple of projects for the the room and will show you later. Here's a picture of the paint and fabric. Yeah, it's flowery, but I love that!