Monday, September 27, 2010

Block of the Month Quilt Top Finished

It's taken a whole year, but it's finally made into a quilt top. All pictures are clickable for a closer look.
 Now for an explanation of why a whole year. I joined a BOM group sponsored by a local quilt shop. Each month starting Sept. 2009 we were supplied with a kit for four six inch blocks. We also had a choice of color ways and I chose the thirties reproduction fabrics. The blocks were fairly simple because they have to be suitable for beginners as well as more experienced quilters. As the months went on the block in the kits I was making just weren't coming together in any cohesive manner, so I decided to design a new block each month using the kit blocks in the four corners. To unite the blocks I had the four outer middle blocks form a star and the center block is always a pieced Dresden Plate. Here's another closer picture.
 The blocks are large 18 inches square and then I bordered them with an additional one inch of white fabric so none of the colored fabric would touch the sashing. The quilt is quite large measuring 80 inches by 100 inches. I'm really pleased with my finished top and can't wait to see it quilted. Here's another picture.
 If you would like to see pictures of my block in progress,  feel free to browse earlier posts here. Also, be sure to go to Amy's Creative Side and see how others have met a goal set last Monday.

16 comments:

Rhonda P. said...

Congrats on the finish! Looks great!

Rachel's Quilts said...

Beautiful! Congrats on your finish.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

What a beautiful finish Jill!

Thearica said...

That is a gorgeous top!

Garilyn said...

Wow, what a beautiful quilt top!

Colleen said...

Wow! Just wow!

Melinda said...

It looks great! Very detailed!

Ivory Spring said...

Oh my, Jill - this is to die for!

Barb in Mi said...

Looks beautiful! And sure was well worth the time it took to finish it. Congratulations!

Robin said...

Wow! What a creative and wonderful way to take the uninspiring BOM and really make it special and your own. The quilt top is beautiful!

orchidlover said...

That is absolutely stunning.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Katie said...

Wow! Beautiful! Incredible! This inspires me to think outside the box a little more than I do...taking simple blocks and making them better...fantastic idea!

Myra said...

Oh my gosh!!! It looks wonderful!!! Congrats on your finish!!! 8-)

Violette Severin said...

Wow. I think the blocks look intricate compared to the usual sampler quilt.

Loralynn said...

I am in awe! Absolutely gorgeous!

Stephanie said...

It's beautiful and I love how you set the blocks. It's must be very gratifying to see this finished.