Saturday, August 14, 2010

Sampler Finally Completed!

I finally pulled out the sampler I finished stitching a couple of months ago. To refresh your memory I made it using a cross stitch design from Australian Country Threads for the center. Then surrounded it with various borders that I found in a variety of places as well as an alphabet from an old, out of print magazine from the 90's. I have been debating how to hang it. I looked into framing it, but decided I really didn't want to go that route. So I decided to border it and quilt it. First I pulled out a variety of fabrics and chose a rather elaborate layout. I showed it to my husband who said it was way too much and took away from the stitchery. To make a long story short, he was right. I tried the elaborate border and it looked horrible so I went with simplicity and it worked. I've had this little hanger for many years and just couldn't find anything that seemed to be right to hang with it. I think I've finally found the perfect project for the hanger. What do you think? 

7 comments:

Solstitches said...

This sampler is stunning! I love the bright colours and the way you have finished it. Just beautiful.

Margaret

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

I think you have the perfect combination Jill! The sampler with all of your personalization and the simple border and the hanger - excellent!

BubzRugz said...

The sampler has worked out so beautiful and I love the hanger with it..... they look made for each other.... hugz

Ivory Spring said...

Jill,

This is absolutely breathtaking - I love how you have turned it into a quilt!!

Exuberant Color said...

The simple border and the hanger make it look so elegant.

orchidlover said...

IT's gorgeous

Love and hugs Gina xxx

SueR said...

Your sampler is really gorgeous. I crosstitched years ago and know how much work it is. I absolutely love how your framed it into a quilt. Been looking for alternatives to framing but hadn't thought of this one. Did you quilt through the crosstitch?