Sunday, August 1, 2010

I'm Back!


Yes I know I didn't tell you I was going, but I went and now I'm back. I rode with my younger son and his wife from Salt Lake City, UT, USA to Oakland, CA, USA. The trip was about 12 hours long, so we got some good visiting in. Why Oakland, yes I know that it has a bit of a bad rep and of course some of it is deserved, but wow there are some really beautiful parts too and the east bay is so much sunnier and warmer than San Francisco. My oldest son and his wife just bought a new house up in the hills there. It was so lovely and quiet at his new place. On Friday the 23rd of July we went to the Oakland Museum and I must tell you it is a wonderful place to visit. There is something for everyone, modern art, traditional art and even some natural history. There is also a wonderful section on California history. We had such a good time. It was lovely to be able to spend some time with all three of my children and their wives. The top picture was taken in my sons backyard. The flower grows on a vine and is quite normal looking until you look at the center. Then it looks like something from a fantasy movie.
My younger son and his wife drove home on Monday but I was able to stay on until Saturday. My daughter and her roommates prepared dinner for me on Thursday. It was a wonderful meal and it was good to get to know her roommates a little better. On Friday my oldest son's wife took me to the Clairmont Hotel for lunch. The second picture is the outside of this hotel which opened in 1915. We ate on the veranda and then wandered though the public rooms. My oldest son, his wife, my daughter and I spent Saturday morning at the Berkeley farmer's market, then had lunch and then I flew home. I had a wonderful time, but I'm also glad to be home. I missed my husband and dog who were taking care of things here.

2 comments:

Ivory Spring said...

What a fun trip, Jill! :)

Shasta said...

I have passionfruit growing in my yard too. Such beautiful flowers, and the fruit is awesome too. Glad you got a chance to enjoy time with your family.