Monday, June 14, 2010

Sorry it's been so long...

All I can say is that we have been painting again. As I have mentioned before, we moved into a new house a few years ago. I wasn't really happy with the paint but knew it was fixable. Well good news, all the walls are finally painted with good paint that is washable. It's been a long time coming, but it's done. We finished off with 2 bathrooms, the guest room, the landing, the laundry room, and last but by no means least, the staircase. My husband did most of the staircase and I tried not watch because sometimes the very tall ladder was in some very iffy positions. During the middle of all this, our little Cocker spaniel got very sick. We were afraid he had a stroke. As it turns out, he had a cheat grass weed in his ear that was making his equilibrium not work. The weed is removed and he is slowly recovering.
Now onto quilting, I have managed to do a very little bit. June 5th was our meeting of the first Saturday of the month block group. I think I had better explain what this is all about, as I had some questions last time I posted a completed block. It is a group sponsored by a local quilt shop. Every September we start a year long block of the month project. At the first meeting you purchase a kit for your first block or as we are doing this year your first set of 4 smaller blocks. Our theme this year is "Along the Oregon Trail". If you finish your blocks and take them to the next meeting, you will receive the next set of blocks for free. We had three choices of fabric this year, neutrals, civil war era reproductions, or the one I chose, 1930's prints. A few months into the project, some of the ladies began to bring their four smaller blocks made into one larger block. Some used an appliqued block in the center and some had embroidered a vintage design in the center. I found them very inspiring but knew I didn't want to do either embroidery or applique, so I decided to design blocks using the four original kit blocks in the corners, with a pieced Dresden Plate block in the center. In each of the outer blocks between the corner blocks, I have designed a block with triangles facing the center to form a star and a different design each month. I have really enjoyed doing this and hope that it will unite the quilt somewhat as the fabrics are not very united. 
Here are the blocks that I received in May.










This is my concept block.











Finally this is the completed block.














Let me know what you think!

3 comments:

Teresa said...

I think this is my favorite so far! It turned out great. Not much going on here. Almost finished binding & have been cleaning & organizing my sewing room. Very slowly.I should be getting my EQ7 any day now. Looking forward to it. Call soon....

Teresa said...

Oh & really like your new blog design!!

Ivory Spring said...

Wow, Jill - this is fabulous! I love the blacks in this block.