Wednesday, May 19, 2010

What Could Have Happened Here?

My goodness what could have happened here. Was there an explosion in the stash closet? (No, a new project is happening!) Is this why I haven't blogged as much lately? (Well maybe somewhat, mostly the problem was laziness.) I have been working on projects, but haven't felt they were really ready to blog about. So now I' m ready to show you some of the things I'm working on. 
My oldest son and his wife are expecting a baby, so of course I'm going a little wild with baby quilts. I have been hoping for a grandchild for quite a while now, so I think I can be forgiven. So how does this relate to the mess...I found a really cute book by Linda Hohag of "Brandywine Designs" called "Critter Caboodle". Here is a picture of the blocks ironed on and ready to machine applique. 



As you can see they are fairly intricate and require a lot of different fabrics. I spent most of one day choosing just the right ones. Then another day tracing the critters onto fusible web. Then still another day and evening ironing the critters onto the fabric and cutting them out. It was fun, although I must admit that some of my choices had to be changed. There have been three different squirrels and two different raccoons. I'm finally happy with my choices. I'll show you close-ups of the blocks as I get them appliqued. Here is the fabric that I plan to use for the sashing and border.



I've also been working on another quilt for the baby called "Just Ducky" that I found in the December 2009 issue of "American Patchwork and Quilting". Maybe if I stuck to one project at a time, I would get them finished faster, but that's not how I work. Here is a picture of one of the blocks.



As you can see, his applique is finished. There are twelve of these little guys in the quilt. Nine are completed and the other three are nearly done.
I also presented a program at my quilt guild on machine applique and I am hoping to post a tutorial here tomorrow. So if you're interested check back then!

1 comment:

Solstitches said...

How sweet are these baby quilts?
My daughter is expecting her third in just three weeks. I still haven't made a quilt but I will........