Saturday, April 24, 2010

My Christmas Stocking Quilt Top is Finally Finished!

It wasn't supposed to take so long, but it did. The borders were kind of a long process. They took a lot of cutting and sewing, but I'm pleased with how they look. Then there was the center. The blocks were many different sizes. I finally got out my graph paper and worked out what to do. Then I had to get over my fear of sewing it together. I found the sewing was really fun when I finally started and it went together as planned. The first border went on very smoothly. Then came the second border. I hit a pin about ten inches from the end and my machine was really unhappy with that. So unhappy, in fact, that it demanded a trip to the repairman the next morning. Finally three days later the machine was fixed and ready to return home. Last night I was able to finish border two and add three and four. Yea!!! It's finally together!


It's quite long. My husband had to stand on a chair to hold it up so I could take a picture. Here are some of my favorite blocks.


This block features some machine embroidery made for me by Teresa at Moonvalley Quilter. I have had it for years. It's so nice to have finally found the right project for it.


I think I need a rest from this quilt. So it's on to other projects. I will quilt it later when I'm not so tired of it. Let me know what you think!

11 comments:

Teresa said...

It looks great! See you in a few weeks, I'll call soon...

Julie said...

Too much fun for words! That's what I think! I especially love the appliqued Christmas lights. Bravo!

Joan said...

That is a very joyful quilt. Those stockings have their own personalities - I love tem!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

It's adorable Jill! It will be so fun to display around the holidays! Great job!

ivoryspring said...

Congrats on such a magnificent finish, Jill! Your Christmas this year will be so special!

SueR said...

What an adorable quilt! The string of lights is my favorite. I love all the machine embroidery too, Teresa always does such a nice job with that.

SueR said...

I reread your post--did Teresa digitize the designs for you?

Mayleen said...

What a fun quilt! For some reason, I like the blocks with the pointy toe stockings best!

Solstitches said...

Wow! That is an amazing quilt.
All of the blocks are fabulous but that snowman just makes me smile :)
Margaret

ivoryspring said...

Hi Jill,

Thanks for visiting and your kind words on my Marabella quilt. That was really fun to make! ;)

Myra said...

It's awesome! Love it! 8-)