Saturday, March 13, 2010

What Do You Do With Miniature Quilts?

Some years ago, I was sitting at a quilt show near a display of miniature quilts, when a person came up and said, "Those are the most unusual pot holders I've ever seen, but it sure seems like a lot of work to just get dirty and burned." I sat for a moment quite speechless and then explained the tiny quilts were not pot holders, in fact I was sure that if they were ever used for that purpose the makers would scream to say the least. He then asked me what good they were if they had no use and I replied that somethings are made to look at and enjoy the beauty. He walked off shaking his head. So what do you do with miniature quilts? Well mostly I hang mine and enjoy the beauty and feeling of accomplishment. Small quilts, like anything small, are best hung in groups. In the picture below are a group of some of the miniature quilts I've made over the years along with 2 paintings by my sister.


Here are close ups of two of the quilts.



Another way to give a miniature quilt presence, is to frame it. Pictured below is a quilt I made some years ago. My husband had it framed as a surprise for Mother's Day one year. I hang it above the bed in our master bedroom. Sorry about the reflections, but you get that with glass.


Also I thought I would throw in a sampler update. My cold, that I thought was almost gone, returned with a vengeance and became pneumonia so I have been confined to the sofa for a while now. I'm on the mend now, but the only thing I have been able to do is read and hand stitch so my sampler has profited.

7 comments:

jilly said...

Potholders??????? I'm still shaking my head on that one. You have done some amazing work.

Hope your better soon, being sick is no fun.

Blessings,
Jilly
visiting from a sampler of stitches

Solstitches said...

What a beautiful display you have on your walls! Each one of those little quilts is quite gorgeous.
I can't imagine anyone in their right mind using one as a potholder!
Your sampler is stunning! It's a shame you had to be sick to make some progress but it looks as though it was time well spent.
Feel better soon.
Margaret

Shasta said...

That certainly is a lot of work for a bunch of potholders! Beautiful. I've made a few, but I want a wall full of them like you have.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

What a great post and photos Jill! Hope you a feeling better soon. Love the sampler too.

Julie said...

Well, I love the miniature quilts. Sorry to say but that's kind of typical for a lot of men (I didn't say all). When I made mosaic hearts out of broken china my husband and son both scratched their heads and asked, "What do you do with them?" I said they were for decoration. Then they said, "So". Don't you just love it? Well, I've sold about 20. Men! Well, anyway your little quilts are great and so pretty!

Terrie Sandelin said...

I love your miniature quilts -- the display is so lovely and the quilts themselves are fabulous! And, yikes, potholders? Funny story.

ivoryspring said...

I am glad you aren't using them as potholders, Jill! They make quite a display.