Tuesday, January 26, 2010

So what have I been doing in January?

OK so I admit January has not been a terribly productive month, but I have been working on some projects. The Christmas stocking quilt is claiming some of my attention, more on that in a later post. I have also been working on a counted cross stitch project. It's designed by Peg Fraser and I found the chart in Australian Country Threads, vol. 2 no. 12. As I usually do, I have changed a few of the colors. I have nearly finish the center portion and I think I'm going to turn it into a sampler. You may notice in the photo that I use a old fashioned metal hoop. We live in the desert so rust is not a problem and I really like how the metal hoop grips the fabric.


I mentioned in October that I joined a block club though a local quilt shop. It is now month five and I have completed all my blocks up to date. In recent months some of the ladies have been bringing their blocks to class and showing what they are doing with them. One the ladies is using a vintage embroidery pattern in the center and another a vintage applique, so I have been think about what to do with mine. I sat down a couple of weeks ago and designed some blocks utilizing each months blocks. The blocks that I designed uses the monthly blocks in the corners of the new block combined with five other blocks. To make a long story short, I finally finished my first block. Pictured below are the January blocks and my new blocks combined to make a large block that measures 18" by 18" finished.


I made the January block first to be sure that I have my blocks finished in time for the February meeting. I'm feeling quite happy about it and can't wait to get to the other blocks. However, they are on hold for a short time because while I was sewing I realized that my sewing room was really bothering me. It still has the builder's awful paint, kind of a pinky beige non-washable. My husband and I are now painting. When I finally get the sewing room into shape I will post before and after pictures.

7 comments:

Zlaty said...

That is a lovely project! I am glad you have your blocks done!

Happy sewing!

Teresa said...

You really made the blocks look good. I like them!

ivoryspring said...

You have been extremely productive, Jill!!! I love your cross-stitch finish. And the BOM project is looking so cheerful.

ivoryspring said...

Hi Jill,

It looks like you will be getting the sampler chart a lot sooner! :) I finished the sampler over this weekend, and should be sending the chart to you this coming week.

clare's craftroom said...

Can't wait to see your sewing room . Those blocks are just gorgeous !

Myra said...

I just popped in for a look, to see how it's going with your PhDs, but I guess you haven't had much time for much sewing lately... 8-)

I look forward to seeing your before and after sewing room photos!

Remember to let me know "when" you've completed a PhD OK?! Then I can pop over for a look-see, an keep track of it on my sidebar along with the other participants... 8-)
Take care!

Take care and happy stitchings!

ivoryspring said...

Hi Jill,

I am glad you received the cross-stitch chart - happy stitching! :) I will be eagerly following your progress...