Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A Birthday Gift


As I told you in an earlier post, fall is birthday time around here. This time it is my lovely daughter-in-law Joanne. I wanted to make her a tote bag. I didn't want to quilt it because I wanted a smoother, less country look. After going through all the tote patterns I could find and not finding one that was just right. I designed one myself. I really like how it turned out, it's just big enough to throw in those book, papers, knitting, but not so big that you feel like you are carrying a suitcase. I loved the fabric. I'm finding myself attracted more and more to the large, fun, somewhat retro prints available now. I used a heavy, non-woven, iron-on interlining, with a very, very heavy fusible in the bottom of the lining to give the bag shape. There two pockets, one with a zipper.

6 comments:

Sue said...

Love this bag! I know what you mean: my daughters in law would appreciate this bag more than a "quilty" looking one. :)

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Absolutely adorable! She will love it!

clare's craftroom said...

That is a great bag , I love your fabric .

Teresa said...

I can't remember if I replied to your email. I've had internet problems most of the last 4 days. Joannes going to love her bag, It turned out great. And I'm stating to like some of these prints to. It sure looks nice in the bag!ydablu

Deborah said...

Great bag, your daughter in law is lucky!

Solstitches said...

The bag is beautiful - love the fabric you chose.

Margaret